Monday, December 19, 2011

Let's get this started !!

It looks like my cancer has decided to be a little more aggressive than we thought.  I have been having some back pain and tension headaches from stress this last few days. My appointment today at the City of Hope went really well. The doctor I met with was very knowledgeable. She wanted me to get started right away, so she called my doctor, and suggested we start ASAP. I asked if I could start tonight, so I would be done by xmas, but I don't think I will be able to get a bed ,and have the chemo ordered in time. My doctor is shooting to start Wednesday, and if he can get me in tomorrow ( Tuesday) he will. So we are just waiting to hear the word from him.  If I'm in the hospital, my family is all bringing xmas to me :)
My appointments are always really emotional for me. It pisses me off that my body is doing something that I cannot control, but will control my life for the next 6 months.  I have an amazing support system though, so I know whatever happens I will have lots of love and assistance through it.  Bone marrow / stem cell transplant after the chemo is not a for sure thing, which is encouraging. They will do more scans half way through chemo to see how I am responding, and will decide at the end if a transplant is needed.  They did tell me I need to wait 2 years after I finish treatment to try and get pregnant, which is kind of a bummer, but I guess the first 2 years are the most critical so they don't want me having kids till they know I am in remission.  It was a lot of info today, and I have to admit I am getting nervous for this all to start. Mostly because I really just want to get this handled, and not have to think about it anymore.  My chemo schedule will be 5 days in the hospital, 2-3 weeks home, repeat for 6 months.  I don't want to be away from home that long, but getting treatment in the hospital is supposed to be better. The patients have less side effects, because I can receive meds for nausea, pain, etc directly through my IV.  So, in every potential negative, it seems like there are many many more positives.  Thank you everyone for your support, it means so much and really gives me strength.

2 comments:

Rachel H said...

Hi Lisa - I hope you're feeling optimistic despite all the information you've been bombarded with. Granted this Christmas will probably suck - think about all the ones ahead that for sure will be better. It's situations like this that make us stronger and appreciate the important things in life even more. :) I'll be keeping you in my thoughts. Hugs xoxo

lisa said...

Im still doing really well, and feeling pretty positive for sure. My family and friends have all been stopping by, so it has made the time fly by. thank you for your support. I miss seeing you and luv your spirit